The Wizard's Secret

THE WIZARD
I
HE could do things by just thinking about them. He could produce things out of thin air. He was a wizard. He was skilful, young and handsome; in a nutshell a complete package of any girl’s dream boy. The villagers knew him by this name but had no hint whatsoever of the fact that he was a wizard. To them he too was a landlord like his father. And he had done his best to keep the magic he learned through his father to himself. He always remembered what his father had told him, the secret is to keep it secret.
SHE was the most magnificent thing in this universe if you had a pair of eyes. You would forget the scenic view of the Pontic Mountains that the village had to offer once you saw her. Very fondly known as “the princess”, she didn’t have anything to do with the king. It was a mere metaphorical exaggeration, for the princess of course. Like any other girl on the planet she too had a name. But the villagers had always called her the princess.
THE only person who could claim to have known the wizard more than all the villagers combined was his best friend the blacksmith. He was the only one to have known that the landlord’s son, apparently a landlord himself, was actually a wizard. And that the wizard himself had confided in him. The blacksmith, in return, had unambitiously proved his worth. Together they had shared a great amount of each others secrets over the years. Conclusively enough, they were always there for each other.
THEY say love is cruel game. But the wizard and the princess hardly found it so; as they too fell in love the first time they saw each other. Without any conversation, that is a verbal one, they grasped each others feelings. It had happened in a blink of an eye. It was just about time that the wizard would go and tell her and she’d say ‘yes’. Or was it?
II
Enter destiny. The wizard was just about to sleep when he heard a knock on his door. At this hour? Cautiously he moved towards it and pulled it open, just enough to have a view. A sigh of relief escaped him as he saw the blacksmith on the threshold.
“Come in. What in the name of God…?”
“I’ll explain.” His expression was that of utter seriousness.
As he ushered him inside his mind wandered through strange thoughts. Finally taking a seat, he asked. “What is it?”
“I am in love.”
“You scared the hell out of me. Well, that was easy.”
“No it’s not that. It’s the girl I am in love with….the princess-“
“WHAT?”
“She doesn’t love me. She says she loves someone else.”
The wizard was once again lost in thoughts.
“Are you listening?” demanded his friend.
“Yes...Yes…so what now?”
“Well that’s precisely why I came to you. I think you could help me in a way.”
“You think?”
“Yes. You know that I’ve never asked your favour as a wizard.”
“I know….but that’s irrel-“
“I am asking you now.”
The wizard was just trying to fathom what his friend meant when-
“So what do you say? Will you help me?”
“What..? I mean yes…but…what do you want me to do?”
“I don’t know. All I know is I love the princess and that I can’t live without her. Use your wizardry, magic or anything but make her fall in love with me.”
The wizard considered this for a moment. He knew the princess loved him. Besides, no magic could cause a change of freewill.
“You cannot make someone love you by mag……” just as he said so it stuck him. He could help his friend. He knew what he had to do. He had learnt this ancient magic from his father. Over the excitement of helping his friend out, he just realized that he was making a huge sacrifice. It was the first time that his best friend had asked for his help. He had to make a choice and that would make all the difference.
The blacksmith, spotting a sudden surge of mixed emotions on his friend’s face, said, ”What is it friend?”
“Nothing. I think I might be able to help you. But I shall need some time for the preparations. Come tomorrow in the afternoon. I shall be ready by then.”
“So be it. I will come tomorrow then. You’re the best man in this world friend. I don’t have words to tell you how great a friend you are.”
III
Early in the morning the wizard called his servant.
“Master?” said the servant.
His master said, in a somewhat hushed tone, “Go to the princess’ house and ask her to come to the north end of the beach in afternoon. Make sure that no one notices you.”
“Understood master.”
“One more thing. That shall be your last service to your master. You have been a faithful servant. Keep this. “
With that he offered a bag full of silver to his servant.
“Thank you master.”
And he left to never return to his master’s house.
THE PRINCESS
I
The princess had awaited this moment since the first time she had seen the landlord’s son. Now it was going to happen. She had lately given up on him but now she could feel that her prince charming was indeed going to do it. She was all excited as she approached the place where the young landlord had summoned her. From a distance she spotted him. He was looking as handsome as ever. I love you dear. Just as she reached there, the landlord bent on his knee. God! Someone’s in a hurry. They both extended their hands as if performing a rehearsed play.
“Dear,” said the landlord, “For someone as beautiful as you there could not possibly be a perfect match. But I guess I am the closest you could find. Fell in love with you the first time I saw you. Will you-“
“Yes, I will.” I knew it. She could see the shock on his face. By the look of it, he was still trying to fathom it. And then it happened. Without a slightest hint of hesitation, they kissed. It was paradise.
II
In the initial period of their marriage, the princess had been curious about her husband’s strange behaviour. The idea of leaving the village soon after their wedding, strict rule against any discussions whatsoever of each other’s past and most strangely abandoning all the mirrors of their house had troubled her in the beginning but she got used to it. The single fact that her husband loved her was enough to keep it going. Besides, she knew that he had his reasons.
THE BLACKSMITH
The blacksmith still couldn’t believe his luck. He was still trying to gather what his best mate had done which made him accomplish the seemingly impossible. Time and again he recounted the incidents of that afternoon which had changed his life. He still remembered each and every word the wizard had said before doing what had changed his destiny, apparently.
“For this magic to work, there are certain conditions. Will you abide by them?”
“Yes!” he had said, unaware of what was coming.
“Firstly you must never see your reflection, for the magic wears off the moment you do so.”
The blacksmith gave it a thought for a while. I can do that. “I won’t.”
“Good. Secondly, you must leave the village as soon as you’re married to the princess.”
“But why?” I am not going anywhere.
“No questions. You must do as I say or the magic won’t work.”
“But that’s not……okay, I’ll do it.”
“Thirdly, you must never discuss each other’s pasts once you get married.”
“Well..we won’t.”
“And finally, you must not see me after this magic has been performed. Neither shall you ever come back to see me.”
“That’s not happening.”
“Forget the princess then.”
“But you know I can’t do that.” He was beginning to feel a little insecure there.
“Listen friend, we have spent enough time together to survive the rest of our lives on the memories of past. You’ll still have the princess’ company but I will be all alone here. Still I am willing to compromise. I cannot be so selfish to be a barricade between two people’s lifelong desires."
The blacksmith couldn’t understand the last statement. Yet the inevitable happened. The blacksmith, unable to stop those tears, hugged his best friend. And what a tight one it was!
“I will miss you.” He said.
“Me too. Now let us do what we are here for. This conversation is between us and should remain so for the charm to survive. Stand here and close your eyes. ”
With that the wizard hid behind the curtain. The blacksmith, lost in thoughts, heard him utter some incantations and felt something in his face. Had he been in his senses, he would have known what had happened there. But destiny, as it seemed, had other plans.
“Now go straight to the north end of the beach,” yelled the wizard.
“But…”
“All your ‘buts’ will be answered there. Hurry up or the princess will disappear.”
“The princess…?”
“GO!”
“I am going, I am going.”
And the blacksmith, still lost in his mind, left for the beach. The rest as you know is a fairytale truth.
THE WIZARD AGAIN
Life was never this easy for the wizard. Sure as hell, he did miss the princess. But whenever he wished to see his old friend all he had to do was stand in front of a mirror.

Comments

Popular Posts