Once Upon A Time



A twilit classroom welcomed me with its emptiness.
Quite usual, as punctuality is a virtue not many possess.
Unloading the luggage, I made it towards the door,
which just pushed inward, landing a head crushing blow.
Through a momentarily blurred vision, I searched for the culprit.
I dropped my jaw, as she was nothing less than God’s masterpiece.
The perfect stranger had just pushed the limits of beauty.
Her innocent face hooded in scarf said she could never be guilty.
As my heartbeat made me realise I was still on earth,
blocking her way, I exited without a single word.
I had just blown up my first rendezvous with the maiden.
And I knew the newly admitted girl would be quite a sensation.


As days went by, she got more and more attention,
as the guys never missed a chance of any interaction.
They did everything from unanimous hooting
to anonymous love letters to seasonal greetings.
But nothing reaped fruit as she was hardly fascinated
by all these; unwillingly they lost hope and the fuss faded.
One day as I was busy doing my work on my seat,
I heard my name being called in a female pitch.
As I turned around to see who had called, I lost control
and just saved myself from falling over with but the desk to hold.
“Yes?”, I said, taking control. “Could you explain this thing?”
Said her ever sweet voice and I moved towards her anticipating
what might be the “thing”. What if I were nuts about it?
Suppressing a strong feeling to retreat, I finally made it.
As I looked at the question where she was stuck,
My spirits rose and I couldn’t believe my own luck.
I took a quick glance out of the window, spotting the sun
in the east, I realized it was indeed going to happen.
As I went on explaining the “thing”, I was surprised
at my own self. I could not have possibly devised
such an explanation if it wasn’t for her presence.
I could tell from her face at the end of my last sentence
that she was quite impressed. “Thank you God.”
I said in my head. And as I expected she said, “Thanks a lot!”
“Anytime,” I mumbled and started walking back when I heard
“Hey,”I paused, “You ‘re so shy.” I shrugged simply acting the word.
“Yeah,” I said,” I know.”She replied, “Hard time making you speak.”
“Can’t help it. It’s a born talent.” She forced a smile somewhat weak.
And then it became a recurring event, as every now and then
She asked even if she had nothing to ask, and like b.p.o. men
I answered even if I had nothing to answer.
And as long as we talked, what, it didn’t matter.
It grew from classmates to being friends to er…….
May be I was in what they call love with her.
I decide to tell her and one day when we were talking,
I suddenly said “I like you a lot.” Oh it felt so relieving.
And without a microscopic change in her expression,
she said “I know that,” killing all the anticipation.
“So?” I said expecting a yes or no and she was still unclear.
“I’ll take a yes for it.” I said unleashing my last weapon,quite peculiar.
Just when I thought I blew it she said, “Took you so long dumbo.”
I couldn’t believe until I watched the sun through the same old window.

Comments

Popular Posts